Licensing of Plants and Animals

Information about native plant and animals under the Nature Conservation Act 2014 including license applications.

    Do I need a Licence?

    Under Chapter 6 of the Nature Conservation Act 2014 it is an offence to conduct activities in relation to native species (Flora and Fauna). However, some activities may be carried out under a licence issued by the Conservator of Flora and Fauna. It is the responsibility of the applicant to apply for licences for proposed activities that may be an offence under the Act.


        Protected Plants and Animals

        The ACT is home to a number of rare or threatened flora and fauna. The protection of habitat in the ACT is one of the most important ways to help threatened plants and animals survive.

          Standard Licence Applications

          The keeping of some wildlife including reptiles is an offence in the ACT unless a licence is held under the Nature Conservation Act 2014 authorising the activity. The application process considers the suitability of the applicant, relevant regulations and policies for the keeping of non-exempt species under legislation.

          Apply for a standard licence.

          Record Book

          All licensed native animal keepers are required to maintain a record book and lodge it prior to renewal or at the end of the licence period. The record sheets may also be requested by a Conservation Officer as per licence conditions. This document provides a fast and easy form to download however record books are available upon request.

              Scientific or commercial licence

              Under the Nature Conservation Act 2014 it is an offence to undertake various activities including taking native plants, damaging native trees, taking fallen native timber, selling native plants and importing/exporting native plants.

              A licence may be issued under Chapter 11 of the Nature Conservation Act 2014 authorising the licensee to carry out one or more activities that would otherwise be an offence under this Act.

              To apply for a scientific licence application please complete and submit the Scientific Licence Application form below.

              Use this record sheet to record wildlife sightings as part of a Scientific Licence Application.

                Registration for bee hives

                Canberra beekeepers are required to register their hives, effective Monday 23 May 2016, under Amendments to the Animal Diseases Act 2005. This helps the ACT Government easily identify and contact beekeepers in the event of any possible outbreak of bee-related disease.

                Registration is free and valid for three years and can be done one using the online registration form. Both commercial and non-commercial operators need to register, unless they have already registered in NSW.

                Registered beekeepers are also asked to adhere to the Code of Practice for Beekeeping in Residential Areas; maintain a record of movement or sale or disposal of beehives; and promptly notify the ACT Chief Veterinary Office of any signs of a notifiable disease.

                  Bird and Bat Banding Under the Australian Bird and Bat Banding Scheme

                  Only bird and bat banders with a current licence issued under the Nature Conservation Act 2014 can legally undertake banding activities in the ACT. The Australian Bird and Bat Banding Authority is a separate authority granted by Environment Australia, a Commonwealth Government agency.

                  'A' class banders must submit applications as detailed above and include a copy of their current bird banding authority.

                  'C' class banders must submit, where possible, a list of the projects they anticipate that they will be working on and the 'A' class bird or bat bander who is responsible for each project. A copy of your current 'C' class banding authority must also be included.

                  'R' class banders must submit details of the project they will be working on and the 'A' class bird or bat bander who is responsible for that project. A copy of your current 'R' class banding authority must also be included.

                    Applications under the Fisheries Act 2000

                    The Fisheries Act 2000 intends to conserve and manage native fish species and their habitats and to cooperate with other Australian jurisdictions in sustaining fisheries and protecting native fish species. An import and export licence authorises the licences to import live fish into and export live fish from the ACT. For more information contact Licensing and Compliance via Access Canberra on 13 22 81.

                    Apply for a licence to import/export fish.

                      Compliance and Quarantine Services

                      Public assistance is required in the reporting of compliance matters regarding our nature reserves, national parks, and the illegal keeping or trapping of fauna. These matters include activities such as:

                      • unauthorised access by vehicles to nature reserves and national parks;
                      • illegal fishing activities including undersized fish and the illicit trade;
                      • taking of plants or wood from reserved areas; or
                      • keeping or trapping of native animals.

                      Licensing and Compliance provide information, inspections and assistance regarding interstate plant transfers, animal and plant diseases, bee swarms, or other related issues.

                      To report any law enforcement issues concerning wildlife matters or nature reserves please contact Access Canberra on 13 22 81.

                        Other Information