What you do in the construction industry affects us all. Waste and soil down the stormwater drain damage our waterways.
- Know your legal responsibilities. Ensure your site complies with the required environmental controls to mitigate stormwater pollution. Take measures to implement and maintain these on your site.
- Construct well-designed erosion and sediment control measures [link to sediment guidelines] to maintain the soil; don’t let it go down the stormwater drain. It will not only protect our waterways but will save you money.
- It’s illegal to let waste wash off your site or for chemicals or paint to be disposed in drains that flow into the stormwater system.
- Build well-designed roads and parking areas that minimise erosion.
- Make sure there are places to put site rubbish.
- Keep your site right. Manage all construction waste properly and don’t allow them to wash off-site into the gutters.
- Dumping of builder’s spoil or chemical waste without a permit is illegal and threatens our waterways and health.