The ACT Parks and Conservation Service is able to accommodate a limited number of work experience placements at its various depots and districts in and around Canberra. Placements are offered to high school students in years 10, 11 or 12 and to CIT students doing a relevant CIT diploma with a course requirement.
Students will generally work across most areas available at a district to gain a better understanding of the work and skills required for each position. Work areas include visitor services, ranger on-ground work, and wildlife depending upon the student’s interest and the district the student is placed.
Placements are usually for a one week (five day) duration. Opportunities depend on the availability of management and staff to supervise and support a work experience student.
Work experience applications are received by the Work Experience Co-ordinator and forwarded to the depot/district identified by the student. Each area will determine if the requested dates can be accommodated within the works programme of that area. Although Parks and Conservation will endeavour to accommodate requests there will be times when work commitments of individual areas will not permit placement of students. Parks and Conservation apologizes for any disappointment this many case.
No placements are accepted during the fire season – generally 1 October to 31 March. This time period may be extended depending upon conditions at the time.
The following conditions must be met in order for students to be considered for the ACT Parks and Conservation Service Work Experience program:
- The educational institution provides insurance to cover the student for the duration of the placement.
- Students must demonstrate a desire to either work or undertake further studies in areas of natural and cultural resource management, conservation and environmental management, tourism and recreation, and forestry.
- Placements are during Monday to Friday only – no weekend work experience will be accepted.
- Students must complete this Work Experience Application form (PDF - 97KB) and lodge it with the Work Experience Co-ordinator.
- Enquiries/applications can be made by either the student, the school careers advisor or the parent/guardian.
- Completion and lodgement of the Work Experience Application Form does not mean that a placement is guaranteed. You will be advised by the Parks and Conservation Work Experience Co-ordinator when a placement has been approved or not.
- A minimum period of 14 days from the desired start date should be allowed for the approval process. Applications lodged within that 14 day period cannot be guaranteed an approval or placement.
How to apply:
Applications can be faxed to 6207 2544, emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, mailed to GPO Box 158 Canberra ACT 2601 or delivered to Parks and Conservation Stromlo Depot, 500 Cotter, Weston.