The ParkCare Initiative
The ParkCare Vision
‘An inclusive, valued and rewarding ParkCare initiative where positive volunteer experiences contribute to improved environmental outcomes.’
What is ParkCare?
The ACT Government recognises the value and importance of volunteering in building an inclusive, healthy and engaged community. The ACT Parks and Conservation Service (PCS) works in partnership with the community to provide opportunities for people of all ages, background and abilities to become involved in volunteer programs. We call this ParkCare.
ParkCare Volunteers actively contribute to protecting, enhancing and interpreting the natural and cultural values across ACT Reserves and National Parks.
The goal of the ParkCare Initiative is to ensure that the ACT’s nature reserves and national parks are appreciated, protected and championed by the community.
“For me, ParkCare means being in the bush with others who share my interests in looking after the plants, animals and landscapes there” – Sarah Hnatuik, Volunteer Coordinator of the Mount Painter ParkCare group.
How does it all work?
ParkCare is now divided into four streams;
- ParkCare Patch – Through ParkCare Patch you can join one of the many ParkCare and ‘Friends of’ groups throughout the ACT to help to protect and enhance your local environment. ParkCare Patch volunteers provide an invaluable contribution to the planning and ongoing management of ecosystems and reserves in the ACT.
- Ranger Assist – Volunteering with RangerAssist gives you the opportunity to work side by with with our PCS Rangers to help with a diverse range of tasks associated with managing our environment.
- Wildlife Assist – Volunteering with WildlifeAssist gives you the opportunity to work with our Wildlife team to help with the care and management of our native wildlife.
- Visitor Assist – VisitorAssist Volunteers work face to face with our visitors through the popular ‘Visitor Interpretation Program’ at Tidbinbilla or in one of our Visitor Information Centres.
How can I get involved?
Getting involved in ParkCare is easy! To see what opportunities are currently available all you have to do is check out the ‘ParkCare Hub’.
Or you can REGISTER as a ParkCare Volunteer today and receive regular updates as volunteer opportunities become available.
- Mt Ainslie Weeders
- Friends of Black Mountain
- Friends of Aranda Bushland
- Friends of Bruce Ridge
- Friends of Mt Majura
- Friends of Mt Painter
- Friends of Mulligans Flat
- Friends of The Pinnacle
- Watson Woodlands Working Group
- Cooleman Ridge ParkCare Group
- Friends of Farrer Ridge
- Friends of Jerrabomberra Wetlands
- Mt Taylor ParkCare Group
- Oakey Hill Park Care Group
- Red Hill Regenerators
- Isaacs Ridge Mount Mugga Mugga ParkCare Group
- Park Carers of South Murrumbidgee
- Urambi Hills ParkCare
- Friends of Glenburn (Kowen)
- Friends of Tidbinbilla
- Gudgenby Bush Regenerators
- Uriarra ParkCare Group