The Bush Capital is the most recent star of Google Street View, with 350 kilometres of Canberra’s walking tracks now available online for the world to see. Highlights include views from:
- Mount Ainslie
- Mount Majura
- Mount Painter
- a walk through a light dusting of snow at Mount Franklin
- the koalas at Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve
- the beautiful banks of the Molonglo River
- Australian Alps walking track
- Honeysuckle Creek and Orroral Creek tracking stations.
The footage was captured on ‘Google Trekker’, a device made of 15 cameras mounted on top of a tower customised backpack, weighing around 18 kilograms.
It took 26 people to capture all the footage across 35 locations, all on foot. A special thanks goes to the ACT Government employees and volunteers from Friends of Bruce Ridge, Majura Pines Trail Alliance and the Canberra Bushwalkers Club who shared in capturing the footage.
Check it out for yourself below.