Justice Robert Hope Park offset area
Where is Justice Robert Hope Park?
Justice Robert Hope Park (Watson Woodlands - 18 hectares) is in the northern section of the suburb of Watson, at the western base of Mount Majura. The offset area connects to Mount Majura Nature Reserve on the eastern side through partially cleared land.
Why is it an offset?
The offset area was established to compensate for the impact to the white box-yellow box-Blakely’s red gum grassy woodland, derived native grassland ecological community (box gum grassy woodland) and the regent honeyeater (Anthochaera phrygia) from residential development and the extension of Negus Crescent in North Watson.
What’s so special about Justice Robert Hope Park offset?
Justice Robert Hope Park is on the lower slopes of Mount Majura Nature Reserve. The reserve forms a small part of a large woodland ridge system that stretches from the hills in Gungahlin, Mulligans Flat and Goorooyarroo Nature Reserves, through to the Majura valley, supporting wildlife movement through this area.
The Watson Woodlands Working Group is very active within the site, undertaking significant habitat improvement works since 2001.
Natural values significant under the EPBC Act:
- White box-yellow box-Blakely’s red gum grassy woodland and derived native grassland (box gum grassy woodland).
Threatened fauna includes:
- Regent honeyeater (Anthochaera Phrygia) - pictured.
- Swift parrot (Lathamus discolor)
- Superb parrot (Polytelis swainsonii)
- Gang gang (Callocephalon fimbriatum)
- Speckled warbler (Chthonicola sagittata)
- Australasian bent-winged bat (Miniopterus schreibersii subsp. Oceanensis)
Threatened flora includes:
- Hoary sunray (Leucochrysum albicans var. Tricolor)
- Narrow plantain (Plantago gaudichaudii)
- Smooth flax lily (Dianella longifolia var. Longifolia)
- Tick indigo (Indigofera adesmiifolia)
- Yam daisy (Microseris lanceolata)
The long term management aim for the offset area is to protect and manage the box gum grassy woodland community and habitat for woodland birds including the Regent Honeyeater (Anthochaera Phrygia).
What can I do in this reserve?
Pedestrian access points have been established in the fence line around Justice Robert Hope Park. Dogs are permitted on a leash.
Who do I contact with questions about this offset?
Call Access Canberra: 13 22 81.