A wide range of volunteering opportunities exist which help improve Canberra’s natural environment. Whether you can spare two hours a year or a regular commitment each month there’s a volunteering role for everyone.
Volunteering for the environment is a great way to make a difference, learn more about the region, get outdoors, stay fit and meet new people.
Here in the ACT and surrounding areas we face significant environmental challenges.
Community support from volunteers can make a real difference.
We need volunteers to help:
- conserve and protect our natural environment;
- build knowledge of our region’s plants andanimals; and
- support and encourage more sustainable behaviour in our communities.
Opportunities exist to get your hands dirty by:
- Planting trees, shrubs, grasses
- Identifying and recording wildlife (such as frogs and platypus)
- Monitoring water quality in our streams
- Removing woody weeds
- Collecting seeds
Community environmental groups also need help with:
- Organising activities
- Writing newsletters
- Managing finances
- Meet people with similar interests
- Gain new skills
- Sense of feeling good
- Get fit
- It's free