Research and Technical Reports
The Conservation Research Unit produces a series of research reports, technical reports and one-off reports which contain information on the flora and fauna of the ACT.
Conservation Research Report
This report provides an overview of the nature conservation programs for our Conservation Research units.
Research Report Series
- Survey for the Smoky Mouse (Pseudomys Fumeus) in the ACT 2018
- Koala (Phascolarctos cinereus) surveys in the Australian Capital Territory, 2018 (1.1MB)
- Breeding ecology of the superb parrot Polytelis swainsonii in northern Canberra: Nest monitoring report 2016 (PDF 875.9KB)
- Breeding ecology of the superb parrot Polytelis swainsonii in northern Canberra: Nest monitoring report 2015 (PDF 1.5MB)
- Distribution and Conservation Status of the Endangered Pink-tailed Legless Lizard (Aprasia parapulchella) (Kluge); W.S.Osborne, M.Lintermans and K.D.Williams, (1991) (6.0MB)
- The status, distribution and management of the Murray Crayfish Euastacus armatus) in the ACT M.Lintermans and T.Rutzou, (1991) (2.3MB)
- Status, Distribution and Possible Impacts of the Oriental Weatherloach Misgurnus angiullicaudatus in the Ginninderra Creek Catchment; M.Lintermans, T.Rutzou and K.Kukolic, (1990) (2.8MB)
- Distribution and Relative Abundance of Fish in the Naas - Gudgenby Catchment; H.A.Jones, T.Rutzou and K.Kukolic, (1990) (1.7MB)
- The Fish Fauna of the Upper Cotter River Catchment; M.Lintermans and T.Rutzou (1990) (4.8MB)
- A Survey of the Vertebrate Fauna of Mt. Ainslie, Mt Majura and Black Mountain; 1975-76, K.Kukolic, (1990) (5.2MB)
- Technical Report - Fertility Control of Eastern Grey Kangaroos in the ACT - Assessing Efficacy of a Dart Delivered Immunocontraceptive Vaccine - March 2018
- Technical Report - Kangaroos and Conservation - Assessing the Effects of Kangaroo Grazing in Lowland Grassy Ecosystems – February 2018
- Technical Report - Factors Influencing Subadult Mortality Events in Eastern Grey Kangaroos (Macropus Giganteus) in the ACT – February 2018
- Technical Report - Lowland native grasslands monitoring plan - October 2017
- Technical Report - Monitoring impacts of Sambar Deer - October 2017
- Technical Report April 2017 - Conservation Effectiveness Monitoring Program: an overview
- Technical Report 36 - Factors influencing the flowering of the Tarengo Leek Orchid
- Technical Report 35 - Distribution and ecology of the Broad-toothed Rat in the ACT
- Technical Report 33 - A Simple but Useful Map of Vegetation Structure In and Near Canberra. Claire Wimpenny, Brett Howland and Don Fletcher (November 2015)
- Technical Report 32 - Conservation Research and Conservation Planning Program report 2013–15 (4.6 MB) (November 2015)
- Technical Report 31 - Risk Assessment for the Importation of Native Reptiles to the ACT. Will Osborne and Murray Evans
- Technical Report 30 - Arboreal Mammal Spotlight Survey 2014 (8.9 MB); Melissa Snape, Ben Stevenson and Murray Evans (July 2015)
- Technical Report 29 - Conservation Planning and Research Program Report 2011-2013 (11.4 MB) (December 2013)
- Technical Report 28 - The Vegetation of the Kowen, Majura and Jerrabomberra Districts of the Australian Capital Territory (6.5 MB) Greg Baines, Murray Webster, Emma Cook, Luke Johnston and Julian Seddon. This report is a vegetation survey of over 20,000 hectares of vegetation in the Kowen, Majura and Jerrabomberra Districts.
- Technical Report 27 - Fine scale modelling of habitat and connectivity values in the ACT (19.6 MB) This report describes and maps the spatial arrangement of woodland and forest habitat across the Australian Capital Territory and identifies the links between habitat patches that enable wildlife to move across the landscape. It considers both the habitat that an animal is able to live and breed in (habitat for settlement) and that which it can move through (habitat for dispersal).
- Technical Report 26 - Long term monitoring for Fire Management – 10 years on for the Australian Alps fire plots The Australian Alps Fire Plots project was developed to gather data about the effects of fire on woodlands and forests in the Australian Alps. The project implements one of the recommendations from a 1993 workshop funded by the Australian Alps Liaison Committee.
- Technical Report 25 - Box–gum woodland in the ACT (4.2 MB). Owen Maguire and Michael Mulvaney. Maps of lowland woodland across the ACT have been based primarily on surveys undertaken from 1995 to 1997 and 2001 to 2002. This mapping identified Yellow Box – Blakely’s Red Gum Grassy Woodland, listed as an endangered ecological community under the Nature Conservation Act 1980 (ACT) in May 1997. This report updates the endangered woodland mapping to better indicate its current extent.
- Technical Report 24 - The extent and significance of Gungahlin's biodiversity values (4.1 MB) Dr Michael Mulvaney
- Technical Report 23 - Survey of Vegetation and Habitat in Key Riparian Zones of Tributaries of the Murrumbidgee River in the ACT: Naas, Gudgenby, Paddys, Cotter and Molonglo Rivers (14.1 MB) Lesley Peden, Stephen Skinner, Luke Johnston, Kevin Frawley, Felicity Grant and Lisa Evans (November 2011) - Technical Report 23 is a survey of the extent and condition of the riverine vegetation communities for the five major tributaries of the Murrumbidgee in the ACT, the Naas, Gudgenby, Paddys, Cotter and Molonglo rivers.
Technical Report 23 Appendices 1 & 2 (308 KB)
Technical Report 23 Appendix 3 - Naas River (6.8 MB)
Technical Report 23 Appendix 4 - Gudgenby River (5.5 MB)
Technical Report 23 Appendix 5 - Paddys River (4.4 MB)
Technical Report 23 Appendix 6 - Cotter River (9.8 MB)
Technical Report 23 Appendix 7 - Molonglo River (7.1 MB)
High-res versions of the appendices are also available.
The Murrumbidgee River, the major waterway in the ACT is in very poor condition throughout its length. The riparian floodplains in the ACT have been affected by land clearing, altered hydrological systems and water quality, major weed invasions, fire and related climatic changes. The ACT Government has undertaken two surveys to provide a clear picture of the state of the high conservation value streams in the ACT.
- Technical Report 22 - Survey of Vegetation and Habitat in Key Riparian Zones: Murrumbidgee River, ACT (16.3MB) Luke Johnston, Stephen Skinner, Lesley Ishiyama and Sarah Sharp (January 2009) - Technical Report 22 is a survey of vegetation and habitat in key riparian zones of the ACT Murrumbidgee River. This report identifies the extent and condition of the riverine vegetation communities along the Murrumbidgee in the ACT.
Technical Report 22 - appendices (14.6MB)
- Technical Report 21 - Ecological Connectivity for Climate Change in the ACT and surrounding region (7.2MB), ACT Climate Change Strategy Action Plan 2007 – 2011, Project Report – Action 34; August 2010, Adrian D. Manning, David J. Shorthouse, Janet L. Stein and John A. Stein; Fenner School of Environment and Society; The Australian National University CANBERRA ACT 0200
- Technical Report 20 - Sphagnum Bog Mapping and Recovery Plan (129.9Kb) ACT Climate Change Strategy Action Plan 2007 – 2011, Project Report – Action 35; August 2009 (ISBN: 978-0-9806848-0-3)
- Technical Report 19 - Peat-forming mires of the ACT (3.4Mb) August 2009 (ISBN: 978-0-9806848-1-0)
- Technical Report 18 - Effects of stock grazing on biodiversity values in the temperate native grassland and grassy woodland in South East Australia; (417.7 KB) A literature review; I.D.Lunt (July 2005)
- Technical Report 17 - Wildfires in the ACT 2003: (4.07Mb)
Report on Initial Impacts on Natural Ecosystems; July 2003
- Technical Report 16 - Not available
- Technical Report 15 - Status of Fish in the ACT (6.4MB) Review of Current Knowledge and Management Requirements; M.Lintermans (March 2000)
- Technical Report 14 - Frog fauna of the Australian Capital Territory: (5.2MB) A review.
M.A.Rauhala (January 1997)
- Technical Report 13 - Status of the brush-tailed rock wallaby ( Petrogale penicillata ) in the ACT (2.4MB)
P.Ormay (November 1996)
- Technical Report 12 - Management directions for striped legless lizard (Delma impar) in the ACT (4.7MB)
G.Coulson (November 1995)
- Technical Report 11 - The reptile, amphibian and mammal fauna of the Gigerline Nature Reserve, ACT (4.9MB); M.A.Rauhala (August 1995)
- Technical Report 10 - Recovery plan for the pink-tailed worm lizard (Aprasia parapulchella) (2.6MB)W.S.Osborne and S.R.Jones (May 1995)
- Technical Report 9 - Invertebrates of lowland native grasslands in the ACT: Conservation and research strategies for a Recovery Plan (2.5MB); D. A.Driscoll (November 1994)
- Technical Report 8 - Lowland native grasslands in the ACT and surrounding region: A review and research strategy for a Recovery Plan (4.4MB), S.Sharp. (November 1994)
- Technical Report 7 - The fish fauna of the Tidbinbilla River catchment (6.6MB); T.V.Rutzou, M.A.Rauhala and P.I.Ormay (September 1994)
- Technical Report 6 - Reptile, amphibian and mammal fauna of Stony Creek Nature Reserve, ACT (6.1MB) M.Rauhala (December 1993)
- Technical Report 5 - Distribution and habitat of nobby dragon (Amphibolurus nobbi) in the ACT (4.8MB); M.Rauhala (December 1993)
- Technical Report 4 - Oriental weatherloach Misgurnus anguillicaudatus in the Cotter River: A new population in the Canberra region (2.6MB); M.Lintermans (September 1993)
- Technical Report 3 - Distribution, population density and habitat of the pink-tailed legless lizard(Aprasia parapulchella) in Canberra Nature Park (6.4MB); W.S.Osborne, and F.V.C.McKergow (July 1993)
- Technical Report 2 - Management of (Xanthhorrhea australis) in Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve (7.4MB); P.Ormay and F.Ingwersen (June 1993)
- Technical Report 1 - The vertebrate fauna of the Gudgenby region, ACT (6.7MB). M.Lintermans (April 1993)
Research Report (ISBN 0 642 00642 3)
- Vegetation of the Ainslie – Majura Reserve (16.4MB) F. Ingwerson, O. Evans and B. Griffiths, (1974)