The ACT is part of a world-wide movement to take action on climate change. The ACT is small at the global scale, but through our leadership we are encouraging increased ambition in other cities and states, stimulating the development of new technologies and testing innovative solutions. We are collaborating with other cities, states and territories in Australia and internationally to share our knowledge and learn from others to accelerate climate action around the world.
- Cities Power Partnership
- A network of local governments across Australia, including the ACT, focussed on reducing greenhouse gas emissions. More than 100 councils representing almost 11 million Australians are part of this network.
- Climate Action Roundtable
- Australian states, territories and capital cities who are engaged in taking action on climate change. Group members share knowledge, address common challenges and work together on climate change mitigation and adaptation.
- Under 2 Coalition
- A global coalition of ambitious state and regional governments committed to keeping global temperature rises to well below 2°C.
- Global Covenant of Mayors for Climate and Energy
- An international alliance of cities and local governments with a shared long-term vision of promoting action to address climate change and move to a low-emissions, climate resilient society.
- Regions Adapt
- A global framework to inspire and support regional governments to take strong action, collaborate, and report efforts on climate change adaptation.
- Powering Past Coal Alliance
- A coalition of national and sub-national governments, businesses and organisations working to advance the transition from coal power generation to clean, sustainable energy sources.
- International Council for Local Environmental Initiatives (ICLEI)
- A leading global network of over 1,500 cities, towns and regions committed to building a sustainable future.
The ACT reports its climate change progress in terms of emissions reductions and adaptation each year through the Carbon Disclosure Project's reporting platform. This initiative provides a transparent, global picture of efforts to tackle climate change by governments, encouraging them to set emissions reduction goals and measure progress. In the 2018 reporting period, the ACT received an 'A', the highest possible rating for action on climate change, demonstrating global climate leadership.
Belonging to these groups benefits the ACT through information sharing, networking, ensuring accurate data analysis and reporting, engaging with subnational governments, and aiding benchmarks for ACT climate change policies and actions. They give the ACT the opportunity to demonstrate leading best practice in addressing climate change so other jurisdictions and cities can follow.
The ACT is signatory to a range of national and international declarations and agreements.
Declarations and Agreements
- Climate Leadership Declaration
- A declaration signed by a number of Australian States and Territories to collaborate, share knowledge and support effective action on climate change.
- Under 2 Zero Emissions Vehicle Challenge
- A commitment that asks leaders to progress towards a clean transport future by showing the automotive industry the full scale of demand for electric vehicles.
- Birmingham Declaration on Zero Emissions Vehicles
- Signatories commit to accelerating the transition to low emissions vehicles.
- E-mobility Declaration
- Members commit to achieve the goal of sustainable transport and development of e-mobility.
- Carbon Zero Cities Declaration
- A declaration to increase the climate change ambition of mid-sized cities.
- Under 2 Memorandum of Understanding
- Signatories commit to reducing greenhouse gas emissions to a level consistent with keeping global warming to less than 2 degrees Celsius.