In 2020, once emissions from electricity are zero, natural gas is expected to make up 21% of the ACT's emissions. As a result, the focus for reducing emissions from energy use will be to shift from natural gas to electricity.
But it will also be important to continue to improve the efficiency of our electricity use so that we can manage electricity demand and maintain our 100% renewable electricity supply as our population grows.
There are many things we can do to help reduce emissions, improve energy efficiency and save money.
- Switch from gas to electricity – switching to an all-electric household can save you money and reduce emissions.
- Reduce energy use – even simple steps like reducing your heating thermostat or changing to energy efficient light globes ca make a big difference.
- Borrow a DIY home energy action kit from your local library and measure your current energy and water use.
Things home owners can do
- Install a rooftop solar system – you may be eligible for the Solar for Low Income Households Program which provides support for certain households installing solar panels.
- Install a subsidised battery storage system – this can help you better manage your rooftop solar system and get even more savings.
- Switch from gas to an all-electric household – when replacing appliances such as a heating system, the Energy Efficiency Improvement Scheme provides rebates on upgrades.
Did you know?
Upgrading your gas heating system to an efficient reverse cycle air conditioning system can reduce your emissions by around 14 tonnes over the system's useful life while saving about $500 per year on heating bills.
Upgrading your gas hot water system to an electric heat pump can help reduce your emissions by around 10 tonnes over the heat pump's useful life while saving about $150 per year.
- Actsmart provide quick tips on how you can improve energy efficiency and reduce emissions at home, work and school and for information about free programs and services to help you along the way
- Contact your energy provider for information on how to improve energy efficiency