Government is committed to leading by example to showcase best practice sustainability in Government operations. This includes implementing the Zero Emissions Government Framework to reduce emissions from Government operations by greater than 33% in 2025 and zero emissions by 2040. Government will also demonstrate leadership in procurement, climate-wise infrastructure and Government buildings.
The ACT participates in national and international alliances, and will continue to partner with local, regional and national governments around the world to promote meaningful action on climate change.
The ACT Government also advocates for Federal policies to support the transition to net zero emissions and increased resilience to climate change impacts. Through innovation and leadership, the Government will continue to encourage others to take action for a successful transition to net zero emissions.
- Reflect climate change projections in disaster and emergency prevention, preparedness, response and recovery, particularly for extreme heat, bushfire and flash flooding.
- Encourage community preparedness for climate risks through targeted Emergency Services Agency outreach and the Actsmart sustainability programs.
- Reduce staff travel needs by co-locating staff in centralised offices, providing facilities for teleconferencing, exploring co-working hubs and supporting flexible work arrangements and explore incentives to support staff use of public transport and active travel.
- Implement a user-friendly sustainable procurement approach for goods and services and capital works that ensures greenhouse gas and adaptation outcomes are considered in all procurement decisions.
- Ensure the social cost of carbon and climate change adaptation outcomes are considered in all ACT Government policies, budget decisions, capital works projects and procurements.
- Ensure all new Government capital works projects with a budget of more than $10 million seek or are consistent with an independent sustainability rating.
- Foster partnerships with sub-national governments and non-government organisations locally, nationally and internationally to promote climate action and increased ambition.
- Join the Global Green and Healthy Hospitals network to improve sustainability performance and reduce emissions from ACT Health facilities.
- Implement the Zero Emissions Government Framework.