The policy is written in simple language. The specific legal obligations of EPSDD when collecting, holding, using and disclosing personal information and individual’s rights in relation to their personal information are outlined in the Information Privacy Act 2014 and in particular in the Territory Privacy Principles found in that Act.
View the Information Privacy Act.
‘Information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable: whether the information or opinion is true or not; and whether the information or opinion is recorded in a material form or not’.
It does not include personal health information about an individual which is covered by the Health Records (Privacy and Access) Act 1997.
The EPSDD collects, holds, uses and discloses personal information to carry out functions, activities and duties. The Public Sector Management Act 1994, Information Privacy Act 2014, Territory Records Act 2002, Health Records (Privacy and Access) Act1997 as well as a range of Directorate specific legislation have provisions for the collection and management of personal information.
These functions and activities include, for example:
- administering relevant Territory legislation
- providing advice on land, planning, environment and construction issues
- consulting with stakeholders, for example, on variations to the Territory Plan or Master Planning documents
- maintaining registers about occupational license holders
- responding to access to information requests including through legal compulsion, such as subpoenas
- communicating with the public, stakeholders and the media including through websites and social media
- managing privacy and freedom of information (FOI) requests and FOI reviews
More specific detail in regard to what information we collect, how it is held, what it is used for, and who it is disclosed to, is included in the Information Privacy Annex included with the Policy.
- the kinds of personal information that EPSDD collects and holds
- how EPSDD collects and holds personal information
- the purposes for which EPSDD collects, holds, uses and discloses personal information
- how an individual may access personal information about themselves that is held by EPSDD and seek correction of the information
- how an individual may complain about a breach of the Territory Privacy Principles, any Territory Privacy Principle code that binds EPSDD, and how EPSDD will deal with the complaint
- whether EPSDD is likely to disclose personal information to overseas recipients, and if so, the countries in which the recipients are located