The ACT Government is committed to reducing waste generation and continually improving waste management practices. This includes running efficient and responsible waste collection services and providing reliable information and advice to the community.
The ACT Waste Management Strategy 2011-2025 outlines the strategic direction of the ACT Government on waste issues.
Waste collection and processing services are coordinated by the Territory and Municipal Services Directorate (TAMS). Visit the TAMS website for information on waste collection services, waste tours, transfer stations and what can be recycled.
The Actsmart Business Recycling and Actsmart Schools programs are offered free of charge to businesses and schools in the ACT to help reduce waste and improve recycling. Visit the Actsmart website for more information.
Why reduce waste?
- Waste is a resource, and as we all know, the planet’s resources are finite, so it makes sense to use them wisely. If we use only what we need, then we leave resources available for higher value uses and for future generations.
- We live in a beautiful region. By managing our waste responsibly we can all help to keep the waterways, forests and grasslands of the ACT clean and litter free.
- Reducing waste reduces greenhouse gas emissions from landfill and from production and transportation of materials, lessening our contribution to global climate change. Sending waste to landfill, particularly organic waste, and transporting materials for processing, results in greenhouse gas emissions.
Did you know?
- Globally, an estimated 1.3 billion tonnes of municipal solid waste is generated every year, which is an estimated 438 kg per person per year (World Bank 2012).
- In the ACT we generate around 900,000 tonnes of waste each year (across all waste streams, not just municipal solid waste), which is approximately 2,400 kilograms per person per year. This is one of the highest per capita waste generation rates of any state or territory in Australia.
For more information contact email@example.com