A review of the Aquatic Species and Riparian Zone Conservation Strategy (the Strategy) has highlighted activities that should lead to more native fish and plants, less erosion, improved water flow and fewer weeds in the longer-term.
The Murrumbidgee River, the major waterway in the ACT is in very poor condition throughout its length. The riparian floodplains in the ACT have been affected by land clearing, altered hydrological systems and water quality, major weed invasions, fire and related climatic changes. The ACT Government has undertaken two surveys to provide a clear picture of the state of the high conservation value streams in the ACT.
Technical Report 22 (16.3 MB) is a survey of vegetation and habitat in key riparian zones of the ACT Murrumbidgee River. This report identifies the extent and condition of the riverine vegetation communities along the Murrumbidgee in the ACT.
Technical Report 23 (14.1 MB) is a survey of the extent and condition of the riverine vegetation communities for the five major tributaries of the Murrumbidgee in the ACT, the Naas, Gudgenby, Paddys, Cotter and Molonglo rivers.
The ACT Aquatic Species and Riparian Zone Conservation Strategy (Action Plan No. 29) supersedes action plans previously published for the following declared threatened items:
- Two-spined Blackfish (Gadopsis bispinosus);
- Trout Cod (Maccullochella macquariensis);
- Macquarie Perch (Macquaria australasica);
- Murray River Crayfish (Euastacus armatus);
- Silver Perch (Bidyanus bidyanus);
- Tuggeranong Lignum (Muehlenbeckia tuggeranong).
- 01. Vision and Contents (320.5 KB)
- 02. Chapter 1 - Introduction (158.5 KB)
- 03. Chapter 2 - ACT Rivers and Riparian Vegetation (722.3 KB)
- 04. Chapter 3 - Riparian Fauna (198.1 KB)
- 05. Chapter 4 - Fish, Crayfish and Macroinvertebrates in ACT Rivers (355.0 KB)
- 06. Chapter 5 - ACT Rivers and Riparian Zones: Planning and Management for Conservation (670.3 KB)
- 07. Chapter 6 - The Aquatic Species and Riparian Zone Conservation Strategy (123.0 KB)
- 08. Appendix 1 - Threatended Riparian Zone Species in the ACT (122.6 KB)
- 09. Appendix 2 - Threatened Fish and Crayfish Species in the ACT (336.6 KB)
- 10. Appendix 3 - Potential Issues for Threatened Fish Related to the Construction of a New, Enlarged Cotter Dam (42.4 KB)
- 11. References (111.6 KB)
- 12. Glossary (43.4 KB)
- Rehabilitating ACT rivers: highlights from the last three years
- Rehabilitating ACT rivers: highlights from the last three years (675.3 KB)