ACT Natural Resource Management (NRM) currently administers two grants programs – ACT Environment Grants (an annual ACT Government funded program); and ACT Rural Grants (A Commonwealth funded program, dispersed through three competitive funding rounds, 2013-2018).
About the ACT Environment Grants
ACT Environment Grants (Grants) fund community projects that support environmental activities consistent with the ACT Government’s policies and priorities. They help strengthen participation and engagement in community led environmental initiatives.
2018-19 ACT Environment Grants
Applications for the 2018-19 ACT Environment Grants closing date has been extended to 5pm Thursday 12 July 2018.
This year represents the coming of age for the grants, which have been funded by the ACT Government for 21 years—since 1997.
The grants fund community-based projects that support on-ground environmental activities that are consistent with the ACT Government’s policies.
More than $200,000 is available this year, with a maximum limit of $50,000 per grant application.
The assessment criteria for the grants emphasise the following requirements:
- Alignment with funding priorites for 2018-19 ACT Environment Grants:
- Enhance condition and connectivity of woodlands, grasslands and/or aquatic ecosystems
- Help manage threats to biodiversity, such as managing weeds and/or pest animals
- Protect native plants and animals
- Enhance the biodiversity in urban areas
- Engage the community in on-ground environmental work
- Connect people to nature through innovative approaches
- Improve opportunities for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community through ‘connecting to country’.
- Effectiveness of your project.
- Level of project planning.
- Soundness of project budgeting and value for money.
- Level of community and stakeholder engagement.
Read the application information pack and complete the application form. Budget and project plan templates have been provided to assist you in completing your application.
- Application information pack
- Application form
- Sample budget template
- Sample project plan template
- Sample Approval to Work on Land letter
For additional information about the grants, contact the Grants Coordinator by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications close on 5pm on 28 June 2018.
- An updated list of current grant opportunities can be found at the Grants ACT website.
- Current relevant grants include Health and Community Wellbeing Grants and City and Territory Services Grants – which are targeted at community groups and non-government organisations.
- The Australian Government provides a very comprehensive grants information page for Australian Government Grants (as well as State and Territory grants).
- Landcare Australia also regularly promotes grant funding programs.
A number of others fund Landcare, sustainable agriculture, rural community development, Landcare and conservation, and include:
- the Foundation for Rural and Regional Development
- Ian Potter Foundation, including grants for environment and conservation funding
- the Myer Foundation’s Sustainability and Environment Fund:
- for more information about philanthropy go to the Philanthropy Australia website
- for resources for ‘grant seekers’ working in the environment sector Australian Environmental Grantmakers Network
- For other useful sources of information go to the Our Community Funding Centre website.