The Environment, Planning and Sustainable Development Directorate aims to lead the nation in achieving sustainable outcomes; to be a ‘liveable and sustainable city’. The Directorate is responsible for developing and implementing a wide range of policies and programs across city planning and development, climate change and the environment. There are two divisions within the Directorate dedicated to the delivery of positive environment outcomes for the Territory. These are:
- the Environment Division is responsible for heritage, conservation research, nature conservation policy, catchment management and water policy and environment protection policy, and includes the ACT Parks and Conservation Service
- the Climate Change and Sustainability Division is responsible for delivering 100% renewable electricity by 2020, carbon neutrality by 2050 at the latest, and climate adaptation actions. The Actsmart program, Energy Efficiency Improvement Scheme and Carbon Neutral Government programs deliver on-the-ground energy savings.
The Directorate’s planning responsibilities include the planning and land authority's management of development assessment under the Planning and Development Act 2007. The Authority also administers the Territory Plan which provides the policy framework for the administration of planning in the ACT. The Directorates other planning related functions include building regulation, leasing, lan information, planning based research, street and suburb name information, land development projects and planning policy including the Asbestos Response Taskforce and Public Housing Renewal Taskforce.
The Corporate Plan 2015-2017 sets the direction and priorities for the Environment, Planning and Sustainable Development Directorate.
The ACT Government’s vision is for Canberra to be recognised throughout the world as:
- a truly sustainable and creative city;
- a community that is socially inclusive – acknowledging and supporting those who are vulnerable and in need and enabling all to reach their full potential
- a centre of economic growth and innovation
- the proud capital of the nation and home of its pre-eminent cultural institutions
- a place of great natural beauty.
Our directorate reports to three ACT Ministers. These are:
- Yvette Berry MLA – Minister for Housing and Suburban Development.
- Mick Gentleman MLA – Minister for Planning and Land Management, and Minister for Environment and Heritage
- Shane Rattenbury MLA – Minister for Climate Change and Sustainability.
Directorate Executive Team
Director-General and ACT Chief Planner
Deputy Director-General, Land Strategy and Environment
Geoffrey Rutledge (acting)
Deputy Director-General, Sustainability and the Built Environment
Brett Phillips (acting)
Chief Operating Officer
Office of the Commissioner for Sustainability and the Environment
Executive Director, Land Supply and Policy
Executive Director, Planning Policy
Executive Director, Environment and Conservator for flora and fauna
Daniel Iglesias (acting)
Executive Director, Urban Renewal
Bruce Fitzgerald (acting)
Executive Director, Planning Delivery
Executive Director, Climate Change and Sustainability
Director, Finance, Information and Assets
Gary Spencer (acting)